Friday, January 05, 2007

Lunch Day 4

In keeping with my pledge to back off meat for awhile, today's lunch was Kimchi Chiggae, a Korean stew that I ate more or less three times a week when I lived in Korea. I took some kimchi, fried it a bit in sesame oil in a pot, then poured just enough water to cover it and brought it to a boil. Once it was boiling I cut the heat and let it simmer, slowly adding soy sauce, sesame oil and mirin (rice wine), and more water to taste. I also added spinach, though this isn't part of the traditional recipe. Near the end, I cracked an egg on top (as I said, no veganism - I still eat eggs and dairy - and also fish, though I try not to more than once a week) and added tofu. You eat it over rice, and although it doesn't sound all that hot from the description, it's rockin good food!

The traditional recipe usually has pork and leeks, and sometimes zucchini. Obviously I didn't add the pork, nor did I add the leeks. I meant to add zucchini, but I didn't realize I'd forgotten until I was already eating. Sometimes I put canned tuna in (which is technically known as "Chamchi Kimchi Chiggae"), but today I looked in the cabinet and there wasn't any. Oh well.

38 days and counting.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home