Saturday, March 03, 2007

Dead Possums Everywhere

Something very strange is going on.

I walk to school on the train tracks - partly because it's quicker (direct route), partly because there's less traffic, but mostly, I guess, because there aren't many people around and I can listen to music and think through stuff without distractions.

Alright, well, yesterday I noticed a dead possum by the tracks - head severed completely with its body on one side of the rail and the head on the other. Kinda creepy, because it doesn't really seem a likely way for a possum to die. After all, trains make a lot of noise. Even in the unlikely circumstance that it had fallen asleep with its head resting on the track, it seems like it would have woken up in time to get out of the way!

But OK - weird stuff happens, so I just walked on and didn't think anything of it.

Well, today I'm walking to school again and there's another one. And no, I'm not seeing the same one twice - one of them is on the bridge over Smith Rd. and the other is further down - closer to Pete Ellis Dr. One body also has (at least) a day more exposure than the other, and it shows.


What's going on here? Is there some weird lemming-like short circuit in a possum's makeup that causes it to drape its neck over the rail of a train track and wait for a train to come snap it off? I find that really hard to believe. Someone has been killing them, most likely. But that's a really gruesome way to go about it. Or, more to the point - I doubt they were actually killed by the train. It's more like someone killed them and then placed their bodies on the rails.

Time to get a new hobby, dude, whoever you are.

2 Comments:

At 4:48 PM, Blogger Jon said...

I was hoping their eyes would bulge out, but I guess the trains (a) are too heavy, and (b) go too fast. Third time's the charm?

No, but really, that IS sick. Fortunately I've been so lazy lately that I've been driving (well also because of evening class scheduling and tutoring and what not, but I still feel lazy), so I haven't had to stumble across those messes.

 
At 4:36 AM, Blogger Joshua said...

You wouldn't anyway - neither of them is close enough to Pete Ellis that it would cross your path. Of course, who knows where our mystery possum-killer will leave his next victim('s parts)...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home