Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Home Stretch

Happy to say I'm in the final stretch of my Secular Lent pledge not to eat meat or drink alcohol for 6 weeks. The last official day is Monday, but I may fudge a bit and eat a hamburger that night. I'm attending a syntax seminar that lets out at 8, and it's been suggested that we go out to eat afterward next week. Depending on where we go, there may be more or less vegetarian food on the menu, and I'm thinking "less," since Bear's Place is the closest thing that passes for a restaurant.

This makes the third year in a row I've done this, and it's certainly been the easiest this time around. I don't remember having any real meat cravings, which I certainly did in the past, and I've also only had fish a total a four times, despite an informal rule that allows it once a week.

All the same, I think I won't do this again next year. It's mostly annoying.

The part about no alcohol turned out to be really nice, though. I like hanging out and not waking up feeling groggy the next morning. Beer tastes good and all, but mostly it's more trouble than it's worth. I'll certainly order one with dinner on Tuesday (some tentative plans to go to a steakhouse), but probably I've permanently cut back on that stuff. We'll see.

4 Comments:

At 7:09 AM, Blogger Jon said...

Bear's Place Menu

They've got veggie chili, bean burger, a garden burger and a spinach melt. I've only had the spinach melt and I liked it okay.

But yeah... Bear's isn't really a good place for vegetarian food. It's a good place for wings though.

If you were being one of those fish-eating 'vegetarians', then you could also get some tuna steak or tuna salad.

Note that the Hairy Bears also do not contain meat. Unfortunately, they do contain a fair bit of alcohol.

 
At 3:49 AM, Blogger Joshua said...

You're right about the veggie food at Bear's. The spinach melt was tolerable - the rest of it sucks. As does Bear's in general.

I've already traded away, though. Tentative plans to go out for steak on Sunday, thus shortening the total period from a full six weeks down to 40 days (Catholic Lent is only 40 days, actually).

 
At 8:55 AM, Blogger Jon said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 8:55 AM, Blogger Jon said...

Oh, well just go with Catholic then. It's easier to fudge being a catholic anyway. As for Bear's Place, I like it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home